With Todd Boley taking charge of Chelsea, the Blues can start to extend their summer transfer window, preparing the club for a number of changes.
Clubs previously looked uncertain about their preparations for the 2022/23 Premier League season as the British government sanctioned Roman Abramovich over his alleged ties to Vladimir Putin, but Boley came to the rescue and bought Left the club and settled down temporarily as sporting director.
Under his leadership, steps have been taken to bring in the likes of Raheem Sterling and Kalidou Koulibaly, with further transfers expected. With Antonio Rudiger joining Real Madrid on a free transfer and Romelu Lukaku returning to Inter on loan, there have also been many departures from Stamford Bridge.
It feels like the Blues are not over yet, even as they continue their pre-season tour of the US with stops in Las Vegas and Charlotte.
Aubameyang on Chelsea radar
After a disappointing transfer window so far, Chelsea have now set their sights on Barcelona striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
According to Fabrizio Romano, he claims the Blues have started talks with the former Arsenal captain.
Chelsea have yet to make an offer for Aubameyang, but Barca need to sack the player as the arrival of Robert Lewandowski opens the door to Aubameyang’s departure.
Chelsea are now considering Pierre Emerick Aubameyang as potential new striker. Discussions have already started on player side, still no bid to Barcelona. 🚨🔵 #CFC
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 3, 2022
Chelsea agree £50m deal for Cucurella and include Manchester City as defender
Chelsea are in advanced talks to sign Brighton left-back Mark Cucurella, according to reports in the UK, including Sky Sports.
The Spanish defender has reportedly made a transfer request to secure a move to Manchester City, but the deal looks dead as the two clubs can’t agree on a fee.
So Chelsea jumped at the chance to sign the 24-year-old. They are said to be ready to meet Brighton’s £50m ($61.4m) demands and there are rumours that teenager Levi Colwell will be offered to the Seagulls to add to the deal.
Update (August 3): Just a day after the offer was said to have been made, the deal appears to have closed. The BBC’s Alistair McGowan and others have reported that Cucurella’s offer to Chelsea has been completed, with offers in excess of £50m being accepted.
UPDATE (August 2): Fabrizio Romano is now reporting that Chelsea have officially submitted an offer for Cucurella and are looking to strike a deal with Brighton. The defender is also keen to join the Blues.
Chelsea chasing Frenkie de Jong
According to Sport, the Blues are ready to make an offer for Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong.
De Jong is United’s summer target and he is reluctant to leave Camp Nou, but the fact that Chelsea are in the Champions League makes a move to Stamford Bridge all the more attractive.
Both the Red Devils and the Blues are reportedly ready to repay the remainder of his Barcelona contract, which has been partially delayed due to the Spanish club’s recent financial difficulties.
Chelsea ready to loan Werner and Kepa
Chelsea could move Timo Werner and Kepa Arrizabalaga on loan this summer, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Both Juventus and Leipzig want Werner, but there is no deal yet.
Meanwhile, Napoli want Kepa, with loan talks reportedly underway.
UPDATE (August 1): According to Marca, Chelsea have also offered Real Madrid a loan deal or a permanent transfer for Werner. Werner wants a move and Real Madrid currently lack attackers.
Chelsea making move for Barcelona kidnapped Jules Kunde
Fabrizio Romano has suggested Jules Kounde could leave Sevilla this summer, with Chelsea believed to be leading the race for his signature. Sevilla are said to be working on a replacement list for outgoing centre-back Diego Carlos, who will join Aston Villa when the transfer window opens.
Romano also hinted that there could be a market for a defender as Chelsea are currently in pole position when it comes to signing the 23-year-old, with Jules Kounde likely to leave the club. Kunde will sign a statement under his new club while serving as a long-term replacement for Antonio Rudiger, who has completed a free transfer to Real Madrid.
Update (28 July): Barcelona have officially announced a deal with Kounde, dealing a blow to the transfer market for Chelsea looking for a defensive upgrade. The fee is reported to be around €55m (£47.6m/$57.8m).
Update (July 25): After playing the game a week ago, a number of reports, including Fabrizio Romano, The Guardian and Sport, have claimed Barcelona will win Jules Kounde. According to reports, Kunde has given the green light for a move to Barcelona, but has not yet agreed to a deal with Chelsea, and the Blues are reluctant to wait for an answer. Barcelona’s Kunde deal could keep Cesar Azpilicueta at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea target Kimpembe to stay at Paris Saint-Germain
Chelsea are close to finalising a deal for Paris Saint-Germain defender Presnel Kimpembe, according to multiple reports including The Athletic on July 13 and the Daily Mail four days later.
The Blues will reportedly make a €46.3m (£40m/$48.7m) offer for the Frenchman, which would be very close to Paris Saint-Germain’s valuation. Still, competition from Juventus remains, so nothing has crossed the finish line yet.
The 26-year-old, who previously played with Thomas Tuchel at Paris Saint-Germain, made 26 career caps for the French national team. He spent his entire club career at Paris Saint-Germain and joined the youth system at the age of nine. New Paris Saint-Germain coach Christophe Galtier recently told L’Equipe that he “likes” Kimpembe and that the two “laughed together” when it comes to transfers.
Update (28 July): In a major U-turn and another blow to Chelsea in the transfer market, reports suggest Kimpembe has opted to stay at Paris Saint-Germain for the upcoming season. Kimpembe has made a firm decision to stay at the Parc des Princes this season, despite attempts by the club to temporarily sack him this summer, according to France’s Le10Sport. The 26-year-old, considered a key figure in Paris Saint-Germain’s defence, remains at his youth club.
It was the second big mistake for a defender at Chelsea this summer, as the Blues also reportedly failed in their attempts to sign Manchester City’s Nathan Ake.
|July 15||Nathan Ake||The Athletic||Reports linked Chelsa to the Man City defender,
but he will be staying at the Etihad.
|July 14||Cristiano Ronaldo||The Telegraph||The Man United striker was linked with the Blues,
but the London club has now pulled out of
|June 28||Ousmane Dembele||talkSPORT||The Frenchman was linked with a free transfer
to Chelsea at times during the summer, but has
returned to Barcelona by signing a new contract
|June 15||Raphinha||Football.London||Chelsea reportedly had interest in the Leeds
United winger pre-sanctions, but he has
completed a move to Barcelona.
|June 9||Denzel Dumfries||Gazzetta dello Sport||The Blues reportedly wanted the Dutch
full-back as part of the Lukaku deal, but this
never materialized as Lukaku moved on loan.
|June 9||Christpher Nkunku||Fabrizio Romano
|The RB Leipzig striker reportedly interested
Chelsea, but he has signed a new contract with
the Bundesliga club.
|June 8||Ibrahim Sangare||Sky Sports||Chelsea reportedly want the PSV midfielder
who has a €35m release clause in his contract.
|June 8||Richarlison||The Sun||The Everton forward reportedly “favored” a move
to Chelsea, but ultimately completed a switch to
London rivals Tottenham.
|June 7||Gabriel Jesus||AS||Chelsea reportedly had interest in the Man City
forward, but he has signed for Arsenal instead.
Chelsea Transfers: Summer 2022 transfer window
|Jul. 13, 2022||Raheem Sterling||LW/ST||27||Man City||£50.8m (€58.8m / $61.8m)|
|Jul. 16, 2022||Kalidou Koulibaly||CB||31||Napoli||£34.4m (€39.7m / $41.8m)|
|Aug. 2, 2022||Gabriel Slonina||GK||18||Chicago Fire||£12.4m ($15m / €14.8m)|
|Aug. 2, 2022||Carney Chukwuemeka||CM||18||Aston Villa||£20m (€23.9m / $24.2m)|
— Raheem Sterling (@sterling7) July 15, 2022